Joanna Bednarczyk (b. 1990) – she is a student of Inter-faculty Individual Studies in the Humanities of the Jagiellonian University, where she finished russian philology and now she is studying psychology. She is interested in psychological aspects of interpersonal relationships, embodiment and narrative techniques. She is also a writer – on her account she has one novel “Paradise” and a series of short stories entitled “Boys”. Currently she is trying to publish these books. Since 2012 she’s been Roman Dziadkiewicz’s assistant and participant of his artistic projects.
TRANCE/TRAINS/JOURNEY THROUGH THE CARPATHIANS (1st-20th July 2013)
We would like to focus on several things.
First: the idea of conversation, communication – if words are symbols, idioms, the “idea of our reality”, through which we would like to get to the other person, so maybe noise, tones, notes,
our hearing allows us to transfer, or communicate in other different ways. The idea of reaching entente by new channel, which may improve bonds, reorganize them, give them new levels,
adding new points of view.
Second: the idea of reaching other person through words, gestures, improvised situations. Creating new realities, or possibilities, we are creating entente or bond. New view bases on
agreement to participate in the new situation. It can be achieved by different games, which allows to move inside rules and look at all planes from the new position, which may allow us to look at bonds at something which’s “outside”. During this project we would like to keep creating varied narratives – build them with crumbs of what will give me the reality: the overheard conversations, the observed exchange glances, grimace, accidental touches, tone of voice … The aim is to draw the potency from the current reality. The potency, noticed in the reality, and then read and written, can go back to reality in a different form (fuller, more capacious). Written narratives / words will provoke the potency to transform in the reality. Let gesture turn into a conversation, let a neutral question transform into asking about the heart of the matter, let casual look turn into an evening walk, and smile in the kiss.
Written paper in the hands of a person will be proposition, which can be accepted, rejected or bargained with its terms. A possible field of our project can be the lack of direct communication process, the use of the medium, thinking about the creative documentation (photographs, video, sound, etc.) and communication in various fields of artistic activity. If we cannot agree with other methods of performative work, we can make use of contention to appease (perhaps cynically, naively or awkward), making ourselves presence or absence.
We are interested in the situation of boredom, fatigue, fleeting curiosity, a initiation of journey. The visual atlas of “ideographs” – the fundamental particles documented in various ways events (in the narration, video recording or photography) – can be used together with the existing cultural images, set similarities and differences, and a reference to show the dynamics of the situation and its hidden meanings and semiological (apparent) void. We would like to create, as a members of caroatian trip, a list of tags:
1. Musical improvisation – tryouts of creating interpersonal language through sound – by instruments, mumbling, concerts on the streets of the visited city.
2. Also as a new way of documenting all activities, there is possibility of writing drama, which will be some kind of “diary of a voyage”, not a script, not a documentary.
3. Post of Love: sending to all participants provocative notes, love letters and gossip.
4. Transfusion / transcarpatium, plants, myth of Dracula, workshop/games in the urban space:
– workshops in each city where we’ll come: few hours of game in the urban space, searching for the tropes of “vampires”, murderers and victims; purpose of game would be observation of reactions of each other, trying to catch a different, curious connections between participants and hierarchy in the group in which we could be “vampires” and “victims” (connection could be like transfusion between us: metaphorical “blood” will be dialogues, views, observation, being together in different situations)
5. Searching for the plants (in according of the books of Marek Styczyński about Carpatian vegetation): we want to find edible plants in the collective action (especially on the Polish- Slowakian border); it could be element of “survival” of collective workshop.
6. And last, but not least – game, as new reality which allows us to communicate and find new way to get to other people.